Get Started on your Career Plan Today!
Step 1⇒ Attend a Program Orientation
Step 2 ⇒ Take the Tests of Adult Basic Education or meet exemption criteria
- See your counselor/advisor for details on test exemption criteria.
- Accommodations for testing are available to qualified individuals.
- Visit the Office of Disability Services for details before testing.
Step 3 ⇒ Meet with your counselor/advisor
- Receive test results
- Discuss technical or academic program placement
- Special needs
- Financial aid
- Registration procedures
Step 4 ⇒ Registration and Enrollment
Practical Nursing (PN)
The Daytime Program is offered at the Arthur Ashe, Jr. Campus
1701 NW 23rd Ave., Ft. Lauderdale, 33311
1350 hours/approx. 12 months – full time
Arthur Ashe, Jr. Campus:
M – F
Term 1: 7/9/2018 7:00 a.m. – 1:45 p.m.
Term 2: 9/25/2018 7:00 a.m. – 1:45 p.m.
Term 3: 12/11/2018 7:00 a.m. – 1:45 p.m.
Term 4: 3/8/2019 7:00 a.m. – 1:45 p.m
Term 5: 5/29/2019 7:00 a.m. – 1:45 p.m
Standard High School or State Awarded High School Diploma is required prior to entry.
The Practical Nursing program prepares a person to participate in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care in hospitals and extended care facilities. Students are introduced to the clinical area early in the program. Theory and clinical procedures are integrated to reinforce learning.
A certificate is issued at the successful completion of the program in accordance with State guidelines. Graduates are entitled to take the NCLEX-PN licensure examination. The Florida State Board of Nursing will issue a license to those who pass the examination.
Additional Skills Covered:
- Administering Medications
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Aseptic Technique & Infection Control Procedures
- Biological, Psycho-social & Social Support
- Blood Borne Diseases HIV/AIDS, HBV
- Care of the Geriatric & Medical/Surgical Patient
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Computer Literacy
- CPR/ Response to Emergency Situations
- Employability Skills
- HIPAA, Legal & Ethical Responsibilities
- Human Growth & Development
- Knowledge of the Health Care Delivery System
- Maternal/Newborn Care/Pediatrics
- Organizational Skills
- Personal Patient Care
- Principles of Nutrition
- Safety and Security Procedures
- Nursing Care in the Community
Industry Certification & State Credential Exams:
A certificate is issued at the successful completion of the program in accordance with state guidelines. Graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-PN licensure examination. The Florida State Board of Nursing will issue a license to those who pass the examination.
The Florida State Board of Nursing will issue a license to those who pass the examination. Successful completion of the Practical Nursing course may be used toward an AS or BS Degree.
College Credit Transfer Opportunity and/or Advanced Standing:
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibility requirements, including the attainment of an aligned industry credential, students may be awarded credits toward an Associates Degree by Broward College or the Florida College System. Students must enroll in Broward College within 2 years of completing the program at Atlantic Technical college. Additional college credit may be awarded with the attainment of additional industry credentials.
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING REGISTRATION: COMPLETION OF THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY INTO THE PRACTICAL NURSING PROGRAM MAY TAKE A MINIMUM OF THREE WEEKS. PLEASE ALLOW SUFFICIENT TIME PRIOR TO THE REGISTRATION PERIOD TO COMPLETE ALL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS.
- Must have at minimum, a standard high school diploma, state awarded high school diploma, or high school equivalency. College degrees must be from an accredited college or university.
- Must take the TABE (Tests of Adult Basic Education) or qualify for the the Basic Skills exemption
- Achieve minimum levels on the TEAS/HESI (Test of Essential Academic Skills) PRIOR TO REGISTRATION.
- Attend a PN specific orientation for additional details for entry into the program.
- Clearance on FDLE Level II background check
- Negative drug test results
- Immunizations and physical
For information specific to Practical Nursing, please e-mail the counselor at [email protected]
Students enrolling in any Health Science Education program must undergo a Level II criminal background check and drug screening, per The Joint Commission. Students who do not have a valid social security number may encounter difficulty with certain state licensing agencies and registries. Contact the program counselor for specific information. Students with questions or concerns should contact Dana Allen, the Practical Nursing Counselor by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at 754.322.2818.
For more information about the Practical Nursing/LPN Training program, sign up today for a program orientation today!
This program is accredited by:
ACEN – Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc.
3343 Peachtree Rd. NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, GA 30302
P: 800.669.1656 ext.153
Click Here for a resource on the Nursing Profession https://nursingdegreeguide.com/
Job Outlook in the Ft. Lauderdale area:
- Demand for Healthcare Support Workers is expected to grow about 5%* between 2015 and 2023
* Bureau of Labor Statistics
**The FL Dept. of Economic Opportunity
Practical Nursing Achievement Data
ATC Completion Rate 14-15
ATC NCLEX Pass Rate 2016
ATC Placement Rate 14-15