Medical Coder/Biller (ATD)
Be part of the exciting health science field!
Students are taught the skills and knowledge necessary for employment as entry-level coder/billers. The main role of a medical coder/biller is to review patient medical records and assign codes to diagnoses and procedures performed by healthcare providers so that the treating medical facility can bill insurance companies for reimbursement. The medical coder/biller is responsible for the accurate flow of medical information and patient data between physicians, patients and third-party payers. Most medical coder/billers work on-site in hospitals, clinics, physician offices and for insurance companies. With the introduction of the electronic health record (EHR), experienced medical coders may have opportunities to work from home. Upon successful completion of this program, students will earn an Applied Technology Diploma (ATD)
Additional Skills Covered:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Bloodborne Diseases HIV/AIDS, HBV
- Coding Skills
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Computer Literacy & Keyboarding Skills
- Employability Skills
- Health Information Technology
- HIPAA, Legal & Ethical Responsibilities
- Infection Control Procedures
- Knowledge of the Health Care Delivery System
- Math & Science Skills
- Medical Billing
- Medical Errors
- Medical Record Science
- Medical Terminology
- Safety and Security Procedures
- Wellness & Disease Concepts
IMPORTANT NOTES REGARDING REGISTRATION:
- Registration processes for Health Science classes vary by program. For information specific to Medical Assisting, please e-mail the counselor at [email protected]
- Students enrolling in any Health Science Education program must attend a Health Science program orientation. At that time, information about the required Level II criminal background check and drug screening, per The Joint Commission, will be fully explained. Students who do not have a valid social security number may encounter difficulty with certain state licensing agencies and registries. Contact the program counselor for specific information.
Standard High School or State Awarded High School diploma is required.
Industry Certification Exam & State Credential:
Students will be prepared to take an approved state and/or nationally recognized industry certification or licensure exam in their field of study.
College Credit Transfer Opportunity and/or Advanced Standing:
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibility requirements, including the attainment of an aligned industry certification, students may be awarded credits toward an Associate Degree by Broward College or the Florida College System. Students must enroll within two (2) years of completing the program at Atlantic Technical College. Additional college credit may be awarded with the attainment of additional industry certifications..
Enroll in our Medical Coder/Biller (ATD) program today.
To get started in the Medical Coder/Biller (ATD) program, Sign Up today for a program orientation.
1110 hours (approximately 10 months – full time)
Traditional – 100% classroom based
Hybrid – Less than 100% of required instructional hours available via distance education
Days & Times:
- Monday – Friday
7:30 a.m. – 2:15 p.m.
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
- Mandatory On-Campus Lab – Monday, Tuesday
7:30 a.m. – 2:15 p.m.
Note: Clinical externship hours may vary.