Get Started on Your Career Path Today!
Step 1 – Attend a Program Specific Orientation
Step 2 – Complete an Application
Step 3 – Apply for Financial Aid (Optional)
Step 4 – Request Disability Services (Optional)
Step 5 – Complete Digital Registration Packet & Return to Counselor
Step 6 – Counselor Interview
Step 7 – Registration & Enrollment
1500 hours (approximately 14 months – full time)
Traditional – 100% classroom based
Days & Times:
Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 2:15 p.m.
Instruction is designed to provide experience in all aspects of this graphic language and teaches students how to use it to express their individual creative ideas and designs. Students begin their training by learning drafting principles and techniques using traditional manual drafting boards and tools. They then advance to the extensive use of techniques and technology utilized to prepare 2-D Computer-Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) work using AutoCAD, 3-D Building Information Modeling (BIM) drawings using Revit, and advanced mechanical design drawings using SolidWorks.
Students will be able to see their efforts come to life as their projects are created in three dimensions through the latest technology in rapid prototyping using a 3-D printer. Rapid prototyping is a group of techniques used to quickly fabricate a scale model of a physical part or assembly using 3-D Computer Aided Design (CAD) data from a digital file.
Additional Skills Covered:
- 3D Printing
- Assembly, Detail, & Pictorial Drawings
- Auxiliary Drawings
- Blueprint Reading
- Civil Plan & Map Drawings
- Electronic Drawings
- Exterior Elevations, Sections & Details
- Floor, Roof, Foundation, HVAC, Plumbing, and Electrical Plan Drawings
- Fundamentals of Architectural/Engineering Design
- Fundamentals of Mechanical Design
- Multiview, Sectional, Fastener & Tool Drawings
- Patterns & Surface Developments
- Site/Plot Plan & Landscape Plan Designs
- Structural Framing Plan Drawings & Details
- Welding, Industrial Piping, & Pneumatic/Hydraulic Drawings
Industry Certification & State Credential Exams:
Students will be prepared to take an approved state and/or nationally recognized industry certification or licensure exam in their field of study.
College Credit Transfer Opportunity and/or Advanced Standing
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibility requirements, including the attainment of an aligned industry certification, students may be awarded credits toward an Associate Degree by Broward College. Students must enroll within two (2) years of completing the program at Atlantic Technical College. Additional college credit may be awarded with the attainment of additional industry certifications.
Job Outlook in the Ft. Lauderdale area:
- Demand for Architectural & Civil Drafter is expected to grow about 2.5%* between 2015 and 2023
- Entry level wages for Drafters are about $16/hour**. Actual wages vary according to education, experience and certifications.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics
**The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity