Get Started on your Career Plan Today!
Step 1⇒ Attend a Program Orientation
Step 2 ⇒ Take the Tests of Adult Basic Education or meet exemption criteria
- See your counselor/advisor for details on test exemption criteria.
- Accommodations for testing are available to qualified individuals.
- Visit the Office of Disability Services for details before testing.
Step 3 ⇒ Meet with your counselor/advisor
- Receive test results
- Discuss technical or academic program placement
- Special needs
- Financial aid
- Registration procedures
Step 4 ⇒ Registration and Enrollment
Central Sterile Processing Technology
650 hours/approx. 6 months – full time
M – F 7:30 a.m. – 2:15 p.m.
This program is designed to prepare students for employment in hospitals or surgical out-patient centers to work as sterile processing technicians, central supply workers, medical equipment preparers, material management workers and inventory technicians. Students will be taught a variety of skills and competencies using supplies, instruments and equipment available in the classroom and lab that are similar to those used in the field. Skills covered include how to decontaminate, prepare and sterilize instrument trays for surgical procedures, disinfect patient care equipment and the various methods of inventory control, storage and distribution of sterile supplies and equipment. A clinical externship in a hospital or out-patient facility is included in the program.
Additional Skills Covered:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Blood Borne Diseases HIV/AIDS, HBV
- Central Services Departmental Organization & Function
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Computer Literacy
- CPR, BLS Healthcare Provider
- Employability Skills
- Infection Control Procedures
- Laboratory Testing Procedures
- Legal & Ethical Responsibilities
- Medical Errors
- Medical Terminology
- Microbiology & Chemistry as Related to Central Service
- Safety and Security Procedures
- Sterilization Principles & Processes
- Sterile Supplies & Equipment (cleaning, packaging, distributing, storing, and Inventory)
- Surgical Instrumentation
- Wellness & Disease Concepts
IMPORTANT NOTES REGARDING REGISTRATION:
Registration processes for Health Science classes vary by program. For information specific to Central Sterile Processing Technology, please e-mail the counselor at Ruth.Eloi@browardschools.com.
Students enrolling in any Health Science Education program must attend a Health Science program orientation on campus. At that time, information about the required Level II criminal background check and drug screening, per The Joint Commission, will be fully explained. Students who do not have a valid social security number may encounter difficulty with certain state licensing agencies and registries. Contact the program counselor for specific information.
Industry Certification Exam & State Credential:
Students will be prepared to take an approved state and/or nationally recognized industry certification or licensure exam in their field of study.
College Credit Transfer Opportunity and/or Advanced Standing:
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibility requirements, students may articulate into the Surgical Technology program at Sheridan Technical College with advanced standing.
To get started in the Central Sterile Processing Technology program, sign up today for a program orientation!
Adobe Reader is required to view the pdf file above. If you do not already have Adobe Reader, click on the icon below.
Job Outlook in the Ft. Lauderdale area:
- Demand for Medical Equipment Preparers is expected to grow about 12%* between 2015 and 2023.
- Entry level wages are about $11/hour**. Actual wages vary according to education, experience and certifications.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics
**The FL Dept. of Economic Opportunity