Get Started on your Career Plan Today!
Step 1⇒ Attend a Program Orientation
Step 2 ⇒ Take the Tests of Adult Basic Education or meet exemption criteria
- See your counselor/advisor for details on test exemption criteria.
- Accommodations for testing are available to qualified individuals.
- Visit the Office of Disability Services for details before testing.
Step 3 ⇒ Meet with your counselor/advisor
- Receive test results
- Discuss technical or academic program placement
- Special needs
- Financial aid
- Registration procedures
Step 4 ⇒ Registration and Enrollment
Automotive Collision Technology Technician
EDUCATIONAL LEADER FOR GREEN APPLICATIONS IN THE AUTO INDUSTRY!
The Atlantic Technical College Auto Collision Technology Technician Program is the only program in South Florida authorized by BASF to teach the Onyx HD waterborne paint system, reducing base-coat solvent emissions by 90 percent!
This program is certified as a Master Training and Refinishing Program by the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF)
1400 hours/approx. 14 months – full time
M – F 7:05 a.m. – 1:50 p.m.
This is the only program in South Florida authorized by BASF to teach the Onyx HD waterborne paint system. This system is eco-friendly and reduces base-coat solvent emissions by 90%. Instruction and training includes uses of parts and repair manuals, price lists, flat-rate manuals, computerized systems for estimating and pricing to customers; record-keeping; shop safety, and housekeeping.
Throughout the course of the program, students will receive comprehensive instruction in the five (5) areas of specialization recognized by the Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), for professional technician certification. Students are encouraged to participate in the ASE Certification testing program during their training.
Additional Skills Covered:
- Prepare Vehicles for Repair and Refinishing
- Repair, Replace, & Adjust Outer Body Panels
- Prepare Parts & Panels for Metal Finishing
- Prepare & Apply Body Fillers
- Perform Welding Operations
- Prepare Surfaces for Refinishing
- Maintain & Operate Spray Equipment
- Select & Apply Appropriate Paints & Finishes
- Repair Fiberglass/Plastic Components
- Set Up Vehicle for Pulling & Measuring
- Inspect, Measure, & Repair Unibody Vehicles
- Shop & Occupational Safety Skills
- Employability Skills
- Waterborne Painting Technology
Industry Certification & State Credential Exams:
Students will be prepared to take an approved state and/or nationally recognized industry certification or licensure exam in their field of study.
College Credit Transfer Opportunity and/or Advanced Standing:
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibility requirements, including the attainment of an aligned industry credential, students may be awarded credits toward an AS/AAS Degree by Broward College. Students must enroll in Broward College within 2 years of completing the program at Atlantic Technical College. Additional college credit may be awarded with the attainment of additional industry credentials.
Job Outlook in the Ft. Lauderdale area:
- Demand for Automotive Body Technicians is expected to grow 9%* between 2014 and 2024.
- Entry level wages are about $12.00/hour**. Actual wages vary according to education, experience and certifications.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics
**The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity