900 hours/approx. 10 months – full time
Delivery Methods Available:
Traditional (100% classroom based)
M – F 7:05 a.m. – 1:50 p.m. – full time
M – F 7:05 a.m. – 10:05 a.m. – part time
Distance (50% or more of required instruction hours available via distance education (online).
Distance – Monday & Wednesday / Lab – Tuesday & Thursday (6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.)
All components of Accounting Operations are also offered 100% distance, full-time or part-time.
Students will receive a broad foundation of knowledge and skills expanding the traditional role of the bookkeeper including double-entry accounting, preparation of financial statements and payroll processing. Students will also learn accounting-specific software including Excel, QuickBooks, and Microsoft Office.
After successfully completing this program, the student will be able to perform basic office activities, data processing activities, and manual and computerized accounting activities using QuickBooks, Excel, and various other software packages.
Additional Skills Covered:
- Accounting for a Service Business Organized as a Proprietorship
- Accounting for a Service Merchandising Business as a Partnership/Corporation
- Automated Accounting
- Business Fundamentals Employability Skills and Portfolio
- Excel for Accounting
- Microsoft Office
- QuickBooks Accounting Software
Industry Certification & State Credential Exams:
Students will be prepared to take an approved state and/or nationally recognized industry certification or licensure exam in their field of study.
College Credit Transfer Opportunity and/or Advanced Standing:
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibility requirements, including the attainment of an aligned industry credential, students may be awarded credits toward an Associate Degree by Broward College or the Florida College System. Students must enroll in Broward College within 2 years of completing the program at Atlantic Technical College. Additional college credit may be awarded with the attainment of additional industry credentials.
Job Outlook in the Ft. Lauderdale area:
- Demand for Accounting Clerks and Full-charge Bookkeepers is expected to grow about 10%* between 2015 and 2023
- Entry level wages are about $12/hour**. Actual wages vary according to education, experience and certifications.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics
**The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity