Patient Care Technician
600 hours (approximately 6 months – full time)
M – F 7:05 a.m. – 1:50 p.m.
The Patient Care Technician is a multi-skilled healthcare worker who, under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse, carries out the essential basic bedside nursing functions. The Patient Care Technician comes in direct contact with the patient in the performance of his/her assigned duties. Students also receive supplementary training in 12-lead EKG, basic phlebotomy techniques and restorative skills.
Additional Skills Covered:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Blood Borne Diseases HIV/AIDS, HBV
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Computer Literacy
- CPR, BLS Healthcare Provider
- Domestic Violence, HIPPA, Legal & Ethical Responsibilities
- EKG Modalities
- Emergency Care
- Employability Skills & Career Counseling
- Home Health Care
- Infection Control Procedures
- Math & Science Skills
- Medical Errors
- Medical Terminology
- Nursing Assistant Skills
- Phlebotomy Procedures & Protocol
- Safety and Security Procedures
- Wellness & Disease Concepts
Industry Certification & State Credential Exam
Upon successful completion of Nursing Assistant Skills component, the student will be eligible to take the State Certified Nursing Assistant Certification Examination. This is an excellent course for students who have no previous medical experience and who wish to enter the healthcare field.
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING REGISTRATION:
Registration processes for Health Science classes vary by program. For information specific to Patient Care Technician, please e-mail the counselor, [email protected]
Students enrolling in any Health Science Education program must undergo a Level II criminal background check and drug screening, per The Joint Commission. Students who do not have a valid social security number may encounter difficulty with certain state licensing agencies and registries. Contact the program counselor for specific information. Students with questions or concerns should contact Ruth Eloi, the program Counselor by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at 754-321-5187.
Job Outlook in the Ft. Lauderdale area:
- Demand for Healthcare Support Workers is expected to grow about 5%* between 2015 and 2023
- Entry level wages for are about $12/hour**. Actual wages vary according to education, experience and certifications.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics
**The FL Dept. of Economic Opportunity