Get Started on Your Career Path Today!
Step 1 – Attend a Program Specific Orientation
Step 2 – Complete an Application
Step 3 – Apply for Financial Aid (Optional)
Step 4 – Request Disability Services (Optional)
Step 5 – Complete Registration Packet Forms
Step 6 – Counselor Interview
Step 7 – Registration & Enrollment
Mental Health Technician
480 hours (approximately 5 months full-time)
Traditional – 100% classroom based
Hybrid – less that 50% of required instructional hours available via distance education (online)
Dates & Times:
Monday – Friday 7:05 am – 1:50 pm
Clinical times may vary according to facility.
The purpose of the program is to prepare students for employment as Mental Health Technicians, Psychiatric Aids or Technicians, and Nursing Assistants. Mental Health Technicians work in a variety of healthcare facilities under the supervision of a psychiatrist, registered nurse, counselor or social worker and participate in the development and implementation of basic nursing care and therapeutic treatment plans for patients with mental health issues. Students will receive training in physical assessment, psychiatric and substance abuse disorders, developmental disabilities, health/wellness education, emergency and crisis intervention, and basic nursing assistant skills. Upon successful completion of the program, students will have the opportunity to take the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) examination given by the Florida Board of Nursing.
Additional Skills Covered:
- Blood Borne Diseases HIV/AIDS, HBV
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Computer Literacy
- CPR, BLS Healthcare Provider
- Cultural Competency
- Employability Skills
- Infection Control Procedures
- Legal & Ethical Responsibilities
- Medical Terminology
- Nursing Assistant Skills
- Responding to Emergency Situations
- Safety & Security Procedures
- Wellness & Disease Concepts
- Basic Skills (TABE) Testing
- Completion of a program orientation
- Interview with Program Counselor/Advisor
- Clearance on FDLE LEvel II Background Check
- Negative Drug Test Results
- Immunizations and Physical Examination
IMPORTANT NOTES REGARDING REGISTRATION:
Students enrolling in any Health Science Education program must undergo a Level II criminal background check and drug screening, per The Joint Commission. Students who do not have a valid social security number may encounter difficulty with certain state licensing agencies and registries. Contact the program counselor for specific information at [email protected]
Industry Certification Exam & State Credential:
Students will be prepared to take an approved state and/or nationally recognized industry certification or licensure exam in their field of study.
College Credit Transfer Opportunity and/or Advanced Standing:
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibilty requirements, students may transfer into another Health Science program at on one of Broward’s Technical Colleges with advanced standing.
To get started in the Mental Health Technician program, sign up today for a program orientation.
Job Outlook in the Ft. Lauderdale area:
- Demand for Psychiatric Technicians is expected to grow about 15%* between 2015 and 2023.
- Entry level wages for are about $12/hour**. Actual wages vary according to education, experience and certifications.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics
**The FL Dept. of Economic Opportunity