Air Conditioning, Refrigeration & Heating Technology
1350 hours/approx. 12 months – full time
Delivery Method available:
M – F 7:05 a.m. – 1:50 p.m.
M – Th 6:00 p.m. – 9:45 p.m.
Instruction includes classroom and lab experiences that enable the student to be job ready and become proficient in the installation, repair, and maintenance of domestic and commercial air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating systems. Heavy emphasis is placed on electrical systems. The Air Conditioning, Refrigeration & Heating Technology students receive instruction in layout and design of electrical system schematics.
Additional Skills Covered:
- Basics of refrigerant recovery & recycling
- Blueprint reading
- Building codes
- Diagnosis of malfunctions
- Operational characteristics of various systems and their components
- Preparation for the EPA Section 608 and R-410A exams
- Repair, replacement, and/or adjustments of compressors, metering devices, temperature and pressure controls.
The Air Conditioning, Refrigeration & Heating Technology Program is affiliated with HVAC Excellence meeting national training standards for the HVAC/R trade.
Industry Certification & State Credential Exams:
Students will be prepared to take an approved state and/or nationally recognized industry certification or licensure exam in their field of study.
College Credit Transfer Opportunity and/or Advanced Standing:
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibility requirements, including the attainment of an aligned industry credential, students may be awarded credits toward an Associate Degree by Broward College. Students must enroll in Broward College within two (2) years of completing the program at Atlantic Technical College. Additional college credit may be awarded with the attainment of additional industry credentials.
Certification fees and tools for entry level employment are additional.
To get started in the Air Conditioning, Refrigeration & Heating Technology Program, sign up today for a program orientation.
Job Outlook in the Ft. Lauderdale Area
- Demand for HVAC Technicians is expected to grow about 21%* between 2012 and 2022.
- Entry level wages are about $15/hour**. Actual wages vary according to education, experience and industry certifications.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics
**Florida Dept. of Economic Opportunity