Get Started on your Career Plan Today!
Step 1⇒ Attend a Program Orientation
Step 2 ⇒ Take the Tests of Adult Basic Education or meet exemption criteria
- See your counselor/advisor for details on test exemption criteria.
- Accommodations for testing are available to qualified individuals.
- Visit the Office of Disability Services for details before testing.
Step 3 ⇒ Meet with your counselor/advisor
- Receive test results
- Discuss technical or academic program placement
- Special needs
- Financial aid
- Registration procedures
Step 4 ⇒ Registration and Enrollment
Air Conditioning, Refrigeration & Heating Technology
1350 hours/approx. 12 months – full time
M – F 7:05 a.m. – 1:50 p.m.
M – Th 6:00 p.m. – 9:45 p.m.
Instruction includes classroom and lab experiences that enable the student to be job ready and become proficient in the installation, repair, and maintenance of domestic and commercial air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating systems. Heavy emphasis is placed on electrical systems. The Air Conditioning, Refrigeration & Heating Technology students receive instruction in layout and design of electrical system schematics.
Additional Skills Covered:
- Basics of refrigerant recovery & recycling
- Blueprint reading
- Building codes
- Operational characteristics of various systems and their components
- Diagnosis of malfunctions
- Repair, replacement, and/or adjustments of compressors, metering devices, temperature and pressure controls.
- Preparation for the EPA Section 608 and R-410A exams
The Air Conditioning, Refrigeration & Heating Technology Program is affiliated with HVAC Excellence meeting national training standards for the HVAC/R trade.
Industry Certification & State Credential Exams:
Students will be prepared to take an approved state and/or nationally recognized industry certification or licensure exam in their field of study.
College Credit Transfer Opportunity and/or Advanced Standing:
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibility requirements, including the attainment of an aligned industry credential, students may be awarded credits toward an Associate Degree by Broward College. Students must enroll in Broward College within two (2) years of completing the program at Atlantic Technical College. Additional college credit may be awarded with the attainment of additional industry credentials.
Certification fees and tools for entry level employment are additional.
To get started in the Air Conditioning, Refrigeration and Heating Technology Program, sign up today for a program orientation.
Job Outlook in the Ft. Lauderdale Area
- Demand for HVAC Technicians is expected to grow about 21%* between 2012 and 2022.
- Entry level wages are about $15/hour**. Actual wages vary according to education, experience and industry certifications.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics
**Florida Dept. of Economic Opportunity