Job Outlook in the Ft. Lauderdale area:
- Demand for Healthcare Support Workers is expected to grow about 5%* between 2015 and 2023
- Entry level wages for are about $12/hour**. Actual wages vary according to education, experience and certifications.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics
**The FL Dept. of Economic Opportunity
Patient Care Technician
This program is only offered at the Arthur Ashe, Jr. Campus
1701 NW 23rd Ave., Ft. Lauderdale 33311
600 hours/approx. 6 months – full time
M – F 8:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
The Patient Care Technician is a multi-skilled healthcare worker who, under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse, carries out the essential basic bedside nursing functions. The Patient Care Technician comes in direct contact with the patient in the performance of his/her assigned duties. Students also receive supplementary training in 12-lead EKG, basic phlebotomy techniques and perform restorative skills.
Additional Skills Covered:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Blood Borne Diseases HIV/AIDS, HBV
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Computer Literacy
- CPR, BLS Healthcare Provider
- Domestic Violence, HIPPA, Legal & Ethical Responsibilities
- EKG Modalities
- Emergency Care
- Employability Skills & Career Counseling
- Home Health Care
- Infection Control Procedures
- Math & Science Skills
- Medical Errors
- Medical Terminology
- Nursing Assistant Skills
- Phlebotomy Procedures & Protocol
- Safety and Security Procedures
- Wellness & Disease Concepts
Industry Certification & State Credential Exam
Upon successful completion of Nursing Assistant Skills component, the student will be eligible to take the State Certified Nursing Assistant Certification Examination. This is an excellent course for student who have no previous medical experience and who wish to enter the healthcare field.
College Credit Transfer Opportunity and / or Advanced Credit
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibility requirements, students may be able to transfer into the Practical Nursing program at one of the Broward Technical Colleges (Atlantic, McFatter or Sheridan) with advanced Standing.
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING REGISTRATION:
Registration processes for Health Science classes vary by program. For information specific to Patient Care Technician, please e-mail the counselor, Dana.Allen@browardschools.com
Students enrolling in any Health Science Education program must undergo a Level II criminal background check and drug screening, per The Joint Commission. Students who do not have a valid social security number may encounter difficulty with certain state licensing agencies and registries. Contact the program counselor for specific information. Students with questions or concerns should contact Dana Allen, the program Counselor by e-mail at Dana.Allen@browardschools.com or by phone at 754.322.2818.
Get Started on your Career Plan Today!
Step 1⇒ Attend a Program Orientation
Step 2 ⇒ Take the Tests of Adult Basic Education or meet exemption criteria
- See your counselor/advisor for details on test exemption criteria.
- Accommodations for testing are available to qualified individuals.
- Visit the Office of Disability Services for details before testing.
Step 3 ⇒ Meet with your counselor/advisor
- Receive test results
- Discuss technical or academic program placement
- Special needs
- Financial aid
- Registration procedures
Step 4 ⇒ Registration and Enrollment