Job Outlook in the Ft. Lauderdale area:
- Demand for Medical Secretaries is expected to grow about 20%* between 2015 and 2023
- Entry level wages are about $12.50/hour**. Actual wages vary according to education, experience and certifications.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics
**The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity
Medical Administrative Specialist
1050 hours/approx. 10 months – full time
M – F 7:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (full-time)
M – F 7:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. (part-time)
* M – Th 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. (part-time)
*Mon & Wed – online
Tue & Thur – in classroom
Students will be prepared for employment as medical secretaries, medical office clerks, medical insurance secretaries, medical records clerks, and medical administrative specialists or to provide supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in these occupations. The program prepares students to perform medical office duties utilizing knowledge of medical terminology and medical office procedures; to transcribe medical documents; to perform medical office functions using specialized medical scheduling/billing software; to produce quality work using advanced features of business software applications; to research job opportunities; and to produce high quality employment portfolios and job-seeking documents. After successfully completing the program, the student will be able to perform medical office activities and will have developed skills in keyboarding, records management, communications, human relations, transcription, computer applications, and decision making.
Additional Skills Covered:
- Business Fundamentals
- Computer Literacy
- Document Preparation
- Employability Skills and Portfolio
- Insurance and Billing
- Medical Office Procedures
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Transcription
- Medisoft Computer Program
- Microsoft Office 2016
- Keyboarding Speed and Accuracy Development
Industry Certification & State Credential Exams:
Students will be prepared to take an approved state and/or nationally recognized industry certification or licensure exam in their field of study.
College Credit Transfer Opportunity and/or Advanced Standing:
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibility requirements, including the attainment of an aligned industry credential, students may be awarded credits toward an Associate Degree by Broward College or the Florida College System. Students must enroll in Broward College within 2 years of completing the program at Atlantic Technical College. Additional college credit may be awarded with the attainment of additional industry credentials.
To get started in the Medical Administrative Specialist program, sign up today for a program orientation!
Get Started on your Career Plan Today!
Step 1⇒ Attend a Program Orientation
Step 2 ⇒ Take the Tests of Adult Basic Education or meet exemption criteria
- See your counselor/advisor for details on test exemption criteria.
- Accommodations for testing are available to qualified individuals.
- Visit the Office of Disability Services for details before testing.
Step 3 ⇒ Meet with your counselor/advisor
- Receive test results
- Discuss technical or academic program placement
- Special needs
- Financial aid
- Registration procedures
Step 4 ⇒ Registration and Enrollment